InSite Portal / WebAdvisor Link EVENTS | SITEMAP
Transfer Frequently Asked Questions
Which courses transfer?
Contra Costa College offers many courses that transfer to the UC, CSU, independent/private, and out-of-state colleges and universities. For a complete lists of the courses that transfer to UC or CSU, please refer to Chapter 3 of the CCC College catalog.

What is articulation?
The process of evaluating courses to determine whether coursework completed at one college will meet the requirements for admission, transfer credit, general education, or major preparation at another college.
What is an Articulation Agreement?
An agreement between community and four-year colleges which indicates which courses are acceptable for transfer towards meeting specific degree requirements.
How do I know which courses to take?
Before determining which courses to take, a student needs to consider their academic goals:
Do you plan to earn an Associates Degree and then transfer? 
Do you want to transfer to a CSU?
Do you want to transfer to a UC?
Do you want to attend an independent/private or out-of-state four-year college/university?
Once a student has determined their educational goal, they can then begin planning their coursework. There are counselors in the Transfer/Career Center and Counseling Department that can assist students in completing an educational plan. Students can also refer to the College Catalog, Chapter 3

How many units do I need to transfer?
To transfer to a CSU as a junior, students must complete a minimum of 56 transferable semester units. To transfer to a UC, students must complete a minimum of 60 transferable semester units. Units required for transfer to an independent/private college in California or an out-of-state institution will vary by college. Students can sometimes transfer to 4-years colleges/universities prior to completing junior status if they meet specific requirements. Please consult with the specific school or the Transfer/Career Center for more information.
What is General Education?
A program of courses in the arts and sciences that provides students with a broad educational experience. Courses typically are introductory in nature and provide studentswith fundamental skills and knowledge in mathematics, English, arts, humanities, and physical, biological, and social sciences. Transfer students often take theses classes while attending a community college. Completion of a general education program is required for baccalaureate degree (BS/BA degree).
Should I use CSU GE or IGETC?
The CSU GE is the preferred general education plan for those students who are transferring to any California State University (i.e., Cal State Hayward, San Francisco State University, etc.). IGETC should be used for students who are undecided about transferring to the CSU or UC and are undecided about their major.
What is the difference between a quarter and a semester?
A quarter is one type of term within an academic year, marking the beginning and end of classes. Each quarter is 10 weeks in length, and there are three required quarters (fall, winter, spring) in the academic year. A semester is another type of term within an academic year. Each semester is 15 to 18 weeks in length, and there are two semesters (fall and spring) in an academic year.
Are there a maximum number of units I can transfer?
Most four-year colleges and universities will accept up to 70 semester units of transfer credits.
What if I take more units than that?
If you take more than 70 units, many colleges will allow you to get "subject credit" for classes that pertain to your general education or major preparation
What is a major?
A major is a program of study that leads to a degree. The subject area in which students pursuing a college degree develops the greatest depth of knowledge.
Do I need to take specific courses as preparation for my major?
Most majors have specific preparation courses. You can access this information via the web site ASSIST or by contacting a counselor in the Counseling Department or Transfer/Career Center.
How do I know if I'm ready to transfer?
You will be ready for transfer once you have completed at least 56 transferable semester units (CSU) or 60 semester units (UC), preferably all of your general education coursework, and the any major preparation classes that are required.

When do I need to apply to the transfer school?
The CSU and UC schools have application deadlines. Generally speaking, students must apply to these schools 9 to 10 months before planning to transfer. However, there are exceptions and independent/private colleges and universities have different policies.
What is the difference between an associate degree and a bachelor degree?
An associates degree (AA or AS) is granted by a community college which recognizes a studentís satisfactory completion of an organized program of at least 60 semester units, including the major and general education requirements. A bachelorís degree is granted by four-year colleges and universities and consists of at minimum of 124 semester units.
2600 Mission Bell Drive, San Pablo, CA. 94806
phone: 510-235-7800 | Comments | 4CD Confidential Hotline
District Office | Diablo Valley College | Los Medanos College | Brentwood Center | San Ramon
Page was Last Modified on 3/8/2010