Who should be Assessed?
All new students working toward a degree, certificate, transfer, or are undecided about their educational or career goals are expected to participate in the 'matriculation process' (assessment, orientation, and counseling/educational program planning) unless exempt for one of the following reasons:
- You have competed at least 15 units of coursework at another college and have taken English and math courses (must provide transcript).
- You hold an Associate Degree or higher.
- You are taking 6 units or less of coursework with no prerequisites, and for personal enrichment only.
- You have complete the matriculation process at another college and you wish to waiver your right to participate.
- Students taking the ESL Assessment are not required to take the math asessment, thought we recommend it.
Matriculation Exemption Waiver, forms are available through the Offices of Admissions and Records, Matriculation or Counseling, and must be signed by appropriate college personnel.
Assessment of new students is required in the areas of reading, writing , and math (see exemptions above). Contra Costa College uses COMPASS, a computerized assessment, for placement into English, reading, math, and ESL (English as a Second Language) courses. The COMPASS test is un-timed and is only open to students who have submitted their application and intend to enroll at Cotra Costa College. Students taking the COMPASS/ESL assessment must also complete a timed writing assessment.
Students must bring photo ID and their student ID number to the lab.
Children are not allowed in the lab.