InSite Portal / WebAdvisor Link EVENTS | SITEMAP
Contra Costa College History
 
 
map of shipyard campus
The Contra Costa Junior College District was established in a special election on December 14, 1948.
 
State Assemblyman George Miller, Jr. was instrumental in obtaining the use of Kaiser Shipyard No. 3 and surrounding buildings from the U.S. Maritime Commission.
 
Byron O. Wilson, the County Superintendent of Schools, appointed the first governing board: Bert Coffey, Fred Abbott, Elton Brombacher, George Gordon and O.J. Wohlgemuth.
 
Drummond McCunn was the first superintendent of the District.
 
  
 
[Illustration shows the college's location at the old shipyard in Point Richmond.]
 
 

Text/photographs courtesy of the College Archives, THE ADVOCATE, and the Graphics Department.
Website maintained by Ellen Geringer egeringer@contracosta.edu.
    
  

 
2600 Mission Bell Drive, San Pablo, CA. 94806
phone: 510-235-7800 | Comments | 4CD Confidential Hotline
District Office | Diablo Valley College | Los Medanos College | Brentwood Center | San Ramon
Page was Last Modified on 3/25/2010